Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Lecrae, music and raising them hands in the air like you just don't care

Seconds - I Am Second

I like rap.  There were three types of music that influenced my life when I was young.  Classic Rock (thanks mom and dad), 90's rock (thanks to all my friends in little ol' Corinth Holders, NC) and 80's/90's rap (thanks LL Cool J, Run DMC, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, and Tupac).   As I have gotten older, some of my musical tastes have changed, but I still always go back to these same three.  What?!  You are a pastor.  Don't you just listen to hymns all of the time? No, I don't.  Now, I will probably write something at another time about music, worship, etc., but I just wanted to put this up.  Lecrae is probably one of my favorite Christian rappers.  Say what you will about what your particular genre of music you like/don't like, but his verses have more theology in them than many older hymns that are sung now without thinking about what they say and certainly more than many of the empty, pop sounding, repetitive praise choruses.  I mean seriously, I get it, there is "no God like Jehovah" and it doesn't make it less true if we don't sing it 20 times over and over again.  Give me some sound theology in worship over emotionalism/change of chord "hand raising" any day.  This is a great testimony! Watch the link!

No comments:

Post a Comment